Saturday, March 5, 2011

Lasagna

I got this recipe from my friend Leslie’s mom.  It’s by far the best lasagna I’ve ever had.  In fact my husband loves it so much he told me I should throw out my other lasagna recipes and only use this one from now on.  The only changes I’ve made are the addition of fresh garlic to the meat mixture, and I sometimes use low-fat cream cheese and sour cream in the cheese mixture.  The recipe also calls for 6 oz of cream cheese but I normally use 8 oz.
Meat mixture:
  • 1 lb hamburger
  • 1 clove fresh garlic (or if you get the minced garlic in a jar use 1 tsp garlic)
  • 1 Tbsp chopped parsley
  • 1 Tbsp basil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 (1 lb) can diced tomatoes
  • 12 oz tomato paste
Brown the hamburger; drain off grease.  Simmer meat mixture 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook 1 (10 oz) pkg lasagna noodles according to package directions.
Cheese mixture:
  • 1 c (8 oz) small curd cottage cheese
  • 6 oz cream cheese (I usually use 8 oz cream cheese)
  • 1/2 c sour cream
  • 1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
Also need 12 oz sliced mozzarella cheese (I’ve substituted shredded mozzarella in a pinch.)
Place 1/2 of the noodles on the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish.  Spread 1/2 of cheese mixture over noodles, cover with 1/2 of mozzarella cheese.  Cover with 1/2 of meat mixture.  Repeat layers.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  Let stand 10-15 minutes before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment