Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kari's Ham & Veggie Soup

My husband loves my soups and is always asking me to tell him how I made it so he can make it sometime either when he goes snowmobiling with the guys or on a night when I'm not home.  The problem is I usually just use whatever I have on-hand and kind of estimate, so I can tell him what I put in it, but not necessarily how much of each ingredient.  This is from the one time I actually measured.
  • 8 c hot water
  • 6 tsp chicken bouillon granules (You can substitute 6 chicken bouillon cubes.)
  • 5 medium potatoes, peeled
  • 3 large carrots, peeled
  • 4 ribs celery
  • 2 small or 1 large onion
  • 1 lb ham
  • 1 c dry white beans
  • dried oregano
  • garlic powder
  • dried parsley
  • black pepper
In a Dutch Oven, dissolve bouillon granules in hot water.  Dice potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, and ham and add to Dutch Oven.  Rinse & drain beans and add to Dutch Oven.  Sprinkle oregano around the perimeter of the pan twice.  Do the same with the garlic powder.  Sprinkle parsley and pepper around the perimeter of the pan once each.  Stir well and heat to boiling over high heat.  Reduce heat to medium-low.  Cover and simmer 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

No comments:

Post a Comment